Monday, June 24, 2013

Thunder & Lightning & Personalities

We rarely get monstrous thunderstorms here in the Denver Metro area and when we do, it is a real treat.    Last night was hour upon hour of rolling storms echoing through the city and how cats/dogs respond can really be a marker about their personality.

Shannon (my dog) was snug at my feet wherever I went in the house.  Liora decided it was a good evening to curl up cozy on the bed.  Mazel stayed around the cat gym for most of the evening, watching all from a distance.

And then there is Sawyer.  He is the most fearless and unusual cat I've had the pleasure to know.  When the vacuum cleaner blasts up, he is always walking up to it to see what the commotion is all about.  When a friend was drilling into the wall and hammering away to put up more perches on the walls, he was right there in the midst of the chaos.

Nothing really phases him.

And I really shouldn't be surprised at all that Sawyer spent most of the evening with me in the office (spare bedroom in my home) sitting in the open window and taking in all the sights and sounds and smells that he could.

I reflect on him name - his adventurous attitude does mirror the wanderings of his namesake.

He was enthralled last night, as a clap of thunder was SO loud that it got people scrambling out into the drenching rain to turn off their car alarms.  The looks he gave me, well it's hard when folks don't understand that these are sentient being with personalities and attitudes all their own.....it was like he was saying, "WOW did you hear THAT one?!?!?"

I occasionally went to visit Liora in the bedroom and she was in a deep sleep, so peaceful through it all.
Mazel was on top of the cat gym most often, watching from a safe distance, but not afraid.  Shannon and I made the rounds just to make sure everyone was doing well.

But my goodness.  Sawyer and his curiosity always amazes me.  Don't think he'd even look at a book that'd talk about a 'scaredy cat' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment